Journal Page and Handmade Doll

Hi All. Thank you for your visit today and for all the support you always give to me. We are off to catch the early train to Scarborough to have a long walk as the air is much fresher today than of late.

I have a couple of things to show you so I thought I would do that before we go.

At Art Journal Journey the theme for July is Post and Postage. My page today is special to me as it has a poem that I love and a subject I have been interested in for a lot of years.


I have chosen a poem by W.H Auden called Night Mail. I love this poem and if you read the third verse as though you are on an old train it is wonderful. It has a clickity clack, clickity click metre to it. I found the image on Google and it was free to use and the background was made in Paint Shop Pro.

Years ago I had a male friend that worked on the Mail Train at Carlisle. The mail from all over the area came to Carlisle then 6 nights a week the mail train set off about midnight bound for London The sorters on it sorted out the mail all the way down to London then the sorted mail bags were collected on hooks at various stations on the way back. Such a clever idea and dating way back.

Now to another forgotten project which I have managed to sort out and finish this week while I watched Wimbledon.

A few years ago my daughter bought me this book

I did trace out the pattern for the basic doll and even cut out some of the pieces then the book and pieces were put away and never seen again until this week.


This is my finished doll made all with hand sewing and a lot of imagination as you won't find one like it in the book. She will be ready for the Tilda Olympics if they ever have them as she has the arms of a javelin thrower. I remember cutting them a little wider as I couldn't imagine being able to turn them they were so thin. Maybe that is why it ended up forogtten and unfinished.

Thanks Valerie for the beautiful trimmings on the heart.

Have a great day. I must dash or we will miss the train

Love Chrissie xx

Comments

  1. Have a fun day out! Love the doll, she is very elegant and beautifully made, well done. And of course the lovely journal page with W H Auden's great poem is fantastic, thanks so much for joining us again at Art Journal Journey, Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fab day Chrissie, I love the walks around Scarborough- though Neil parks miles out of town for the free parking (he's a true Yorkshireman) I really like you pieces today, your doll is amazing and I love this poem, I remember this poem from school many years ago lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the background is amazing, fits so well the train.
    I love your doll. True that ams are handsome but original and tells that she has strength ;))
    Have a happy day ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the page and the poem and your doll looks fantastic ! I wish I was as clever as you with sewing !!! Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This page is great - a fab poem ... and the background is fantastic to the image. Your Tilda doll is AMAZING! She looks gorgeous. Very elegant and artsy!!!
    Thank you for another fab idea to Art Journal Journey dear Chrissie!
    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant page, and a great memory for me....learning the poem at school. ...how many years ago? ( grin! ) Your Tilda doll is beautiful. . glad you finished it! Hope you're having a great day out! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely creation and gorgeous colour combo. Your doll is so fabulous, love it Chrissie. xxx{aNNie My Personal Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Tilda doll is a beauty, bet you are pleased she is finished. Its a fabulous page and one of my favourite poems. Have a lovely day out.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome spread and the doll is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, your Tilda doll is absolutely wonderful! Such a lovely creation, Chrissie. I love all the detail and the embellishments. You are so creative.

    Your mail train story reminds me of Thomas the Tank Engine and his friends. My son loved those when he was a child and I still have fond memories about it all. I still love Thomas and his adventures.

    Blessings and hugs,
    Marianne xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous page and great poem! Your Tilda doll is wonderful, I really love it!!!
    Hugs, Mar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely page nice poem ,greeting from Mons in Belgium

    http://louisette.eklablog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great train page, love how the corners are all curled back. I can't believe you made that doll, holy moses! Well done Chrissie, I am totally impressed but not all surprised! You seem to be a natural at anything you try I would never venture into a craft form like this, it would NOT be good for my ego. hahaha!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The doll's amazing! How clever to hand sew it. Yes, I think I remember the night mail poem being on an advert (?) . A really nostalgic page.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tag and Journal page design