Out of a Hat -Challenge 70

A warm welcome all to Jumbled Crafts. Hope your day is going well and you have had a great week

Time for another challenge at Out of a Hat where the The Hatters would like to see Patch Work Patterns. It doesn't have to be anything sewn but I really needed to make this.

It is a needle cushion and why I needed it is a story many of you won't believe.

I always seemed to be losing needles--I would open a packet and in no time at all they had all gone. I looked carefully for each one as I was afraid they may cause a nasty accident they had dropped on a  chair or even on the floor. I decided I had a nasty, needle fairy who just took them whilst I wasn't looking. Then one day I saw just the eye of a needle sinking into a nice plump pin cushion. That's when I wondered how many more had gone the same way. I took the pin cushion apart and found many, many needles inside the stuffing. I know you will be saying ''why doesn't she use a needle case?' I know I should but it always just seems easier to pop them into the pin cushion.

So here is what I made just for needles.




I started off with a scouring pad that is coated on both top and bottom but the needles do go into it and are held firmly in place

I cut it into a square shape then stuck some mount board on the bottom


next I added a piece of material on the bottom and roughly gathered it on the top

All that remained then was to join some squares together in different materials and stitch the piece onto the shape and cover the edges with some nice rick rack braid. Also added a few beads and sequins. The needles are held firmly in place and can't hide anywhere.

I had to make a new pincushion as well to replace the one I took apart.

Do go and look at what Valerie, Janet and Sandra have made and say hello if you have time

Love Chrissie xx



Comments

  1. Great sewing! I am always losing needles , not that I am by any means a sewing person! Trace xnhugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Chrissie ! The fabrics you have chosen are so cool ! Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. that´s amazing Chrissie! You ideas are always fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh fabulous, very practical

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love your needle cushion...the same thing happens to me. The needles work their way down into the cushion and I have to feel them out, which as you can imagine can be quite prickly. So I love your idea for the needle cushion, and I like the patchwork, too. And the pin cushion is also so pretty! You really were quite busy.

    By the way, I really liked your comment on my blog today, and you are so correct. So I replied to your comment, and added a little paragraph about it to the post. I linked you there also. Thank you, my dear Chrissie. And now I should go create something.

    Blessings to you,
    Marianne xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pin cushion you made, super materials as well.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - whether it's a working pin cushion or a needle case they need to be housed. I stepped on one when I was little and it broke off in my foot. Took a while to convince my family that I was serious and they found the half-needle in the bone of my foot, just missing an artery. OUCH! And, I have the scars for that ouch too.
    Stopping by via Marianne's Leisure Lane post. Nice to "meet" you .

    Great idea for the shallow needle cushion.

    Thanks, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pincushions, I love the materials.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know just what you mean Chrissie lol and a lovely new pin cushion :)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Chrissie, that is some cool needle work girl! Lovely fabrics, too! Hugs, Ira x
    irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pin cushions, love the quilting! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant patchwork makes - and so glad you now have your needles under control!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chrissie great idea with scouring pad and it looks so pretty to love it. Hugs Sandra X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Chrissie. Your needle and pin cushions are great. Perfect patchwork. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pincushions Chrissie. The story was funny and I've been through a similar situation.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Terrific pin/needle cushions Chrissie, might give that a try myself
    Janet x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such great sewn projects Chrissie. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tag and Journal page design