Acetate at Artful Times

Always something to think about at Artful Times and great samples from the team to give you inspiration. This time the challenge there is 'Use Acetate' and I must say I haven't used much of that in the past at all--the odd window card here and there and I once attempted stained glass for a challenge by the same team so didn't want to do that again.

I made this from a piece of card that was the back of a package I got-stamped it with a Crafty Individuals stamp and distressed the edges with Rangers DI. Next I tore a piece of paper and smudged and distressed that with a few colours. Added some cutouts in 3 colours printed the photo of my gran onto acetate. I think you can see everything else.

Read on if you want to know why I made this. It might get boring so be warned.

This is a sort of history lesson for some as I am sure I am a lot older than most of you--maybe you could ask your mums and dads or grandparents if it is true lol.

The photograph is of my grandmother when she first came here from Southern Ireland with her brothers and sister leaving their parents behind.. She didn't ever tell us why but I think they were very poor and wanted a better life for the children--they did all have a better life I think.

That wasn't really the history lesson.

The history bit is attached to the use of the coloured shapes behind the image on the acrylic.

 My dad got our first telly in 1950 when they cost about an average year's wage. Ours was rented as were most of them. My grandmother refused to come to our house once the telly was in place as she said they would be the ruin of everything that was good. I think she meant for her family as we were all very musical and sporty and she thought we would be watching instead of doing. The 'making up' came when the Coronation was to be shown on the television as she so loved the Royals. I think there were about 30 people in our front room on the day and my dad had bought an acetate 'front' to place over the screen. The top was blue, the middle was pink and the bottom was green for sky, faces and grass. Thank heavens that coloured television became available to all as the colours on the acrylic never lined up with anything--a bit like on my piece.

Comments

  1. This is wonderful Chrissie the way the undercolours show through the image :)
    Thank you for playing along with us at Artful Times
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissie, saw this on Artful Times. A wonderful piece, and loved your story about the TV.
    Avril

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project, yes I remember our families first TV, it had pride of place in the room.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever way of using acetate! Love it. Gosh how TV's have come on - I can imagine watching the Olympics opening ceremony in 3D was quite amazing! Thanks for your lovely comment. Hugs, Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Chrissie, love how you've used the acetate and your story about the tv.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehehehe, our theme is acetate Chrissie, not acrylic. Glad you used acetate on your piece and not acrylic - lol

    Sam = Artful Times xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of acetate, love the way the colours come through!
    Trace. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous creation Chrissie, looks superb! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, take care, Ira x
    irascreacorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chrissie wow ! What a fabulous project I love how you did this its just stunning how wonderful to incorporate a photo of your grandmother she looks gorgeous. Ahh I remember our first tv we were the first in our street and all the neigbours packed into our living room you really took me back. Dont remember the acetate though sounds very interesting lol



    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story Chrissie and I remember the Coronation and my watching on a neighbour's tv. Don't remember the coloured acetate - obviously our neighbour was not as posh as you LOL.
    I do like what you have done with your acetate - love the whole piece, every bit of it.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tag and Journal page design