The Real Steampunk

At Artful Times the challenge is something for men-never something I find easy. Also at Crafty Cardmakers the challenge is no cards, tags or ATCS so I have combined the two.

A few weeks ago we went to stay in a fisherman's cottage at Whitby and one of the days we took a train to Grosmont to see the workshops where the volunteers work on the steam trains. What a great day out it proved to be, it was like being transported back in time and so many bits of old engines and carriages it's steampunk heaven. We strayed to a path that goes up a hill and overlooks the workshops and saw some amazing old rusty water tanks --huge so couldn't get one in my rucksack unfortunately.

Vic took lots of photos and I have chosen three to make a picture to hang in the lounge and I know he will just love it.

It wasn't easy to photograph this as there seem to be reflections where ever I stood it and a bit dark where it is going to hang.

The frame was one from Wilkinson and was plain black so I covered it with bits of newspaper the way my granny showed me years ago--we used to use flour and water paste in those days but I cheated and used PVA glue. Not sure she would be impressed by what I did as she would have wanted to know why I didn't buy the new decopatch stuff lol.


I painted it with some silvery grey O2 paint then stuck on some cogs and a bird that were sprayed silver and daubed with distressed inks.

Comments

  1. Love these photos - and what a great way to show them off!! I love the newspaper on the frame!! I have to admit to using watered down PVA when I do similar things - I keep hearing about Modge Podge(sp?) but have yet to try it out!! Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember flour and water paste so well, used to have a scrapbook (the old fashioned type) when I was a girl and that was the only glue we had. Love the photo frame, very arty and definitely stem punk.
    Thanks for commenting on my recent posts - much appreciated and when I visited your blog I was reminded that my pages would fit the Artful Times challenge.

    Ann b
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great fram for Vic's photos Chrissie :) thanks for sharing with us at Artful Times
    Von x♥x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this Chrissie, were u covered in newspaper print when you were finished?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I been waiting to see what you made Chrissie. Fabulous project. Vic will love it. Great photos!! Especially the top one. Lovely read.
    Regards Florence xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, love your frame.
    A wonderful to showcase the fantastic photos.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chrissie glad to see you could make it over to Crafty Cardmakers with this fabulous piece of art ! I too used flour and water as paste when i was a kid gives great texture if I rem,ember well might just try it again. Love the photos and how you did the frame and the cogs are a perfect addition. Thanks for sharing with us this time at Crafty Cardmakers and good luck.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW This is fab Chrissie, love the way you've decorated the frame, even if you did cheat with PVA!!!

    Thanks for playing along again this week.

    Sam - Artful Times xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous Chrissie, lovely photographs and that frame is brilliant, I would never have thought to use newspaper but it fits perfectly x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous project! The frame is just perfect for the photos too

    Thanks for joining the 'no cards' challenge at Crafty Cardmakers

    ReplyDelete
  11. On my life! Thats great Chrissie - such a good idea so different and those photographs are brilliant. I love Whitby for the whole "strange" feel about it, and nothing beats boots and rucksack and getting out there does it! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous. I haven't been to Whitby for years and it bought back fond memories. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cor Blimey - flour and water paste! Those were the days - bet it wold go mouldy in no time if we used it now.
    What a fabulous idea now I would never have thought of using print for the frame but it looks great (might have to pinch that idea) and what a lovely set of photographs to remind you of the day out.
    The fisherman's cottage sounds idyllic.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Artful Times - Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tag and Journal page design